Constipation affects 20 percent of the population, and in most cases, it is caused by the reduced movement of foods through the gut, as well as a low-fiber diet, old age, and physical inactivity.
Many people solve the issue with constipation by using laxatives, stool softeners, and fiber supplements, but the following foods naturally treat it even better, as they are high in soluble and insoluble fiber, which soften the stool and improve its consistency and frequency:
- Kefir is abundant in probiotics, a healthy bacteria in the gut, and thus boosts stool consistency, increases stool frequency, and accelerates bowel movements by minimizing intestinal transit time
- Prunes are powerful natural laxatives that alleviate constipation, soften stools, and improve consistency
- Apples are abundant in fiber, so they improve digestion, fight constipation, and improve gut health by increasing the levels of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract
- Artichokes contain probiotics, unique fiber types, that have a beneficial effect on the digestive tract and maintain regularly and optimize gut health
- Rhubarb has natural laxative properties and high amounts of fiber that improve regularity
- Beans are high in fiber, both, insoluble and soluble fiber, that softens stool and treats constipation, and lowers the risk of gas and bloating
- Pears alleviate constipation, trigger bowel movement, due to fructose, a sugar type that acts as a natural laxative
- Figs also promote regularity, improve the weight of the stool, alleviate abdominal discomfort, and reduce intestinal transit time
- Flaxseeds improve regularity and accelerate the intestinal transit, increase frequency, and boost stool weight, treating both, constipation and diarrhea
- Kiwi fruit is high in fiber that fights constipation and speeds up intestinal transit time
- Lentils are full of fiber and boost the production of butyric acid, a kind of short-chain fatty acid present in the colon, so they improve bowel movements and treat constipation
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, as well as numerous minerals and vitamins, so they promote bowel movements and treat constipation.
Additionally, despite regularly consuming these fiber-rich foods, the following tips will help you naturally relieve constipation as well:
- Make sure you drink plenty of water during the day, and you can also benefit a lot from drinking some carbonated( sparkling) water
- Limit the intake of dairy, as these products can cause constipation in some people
- Drink coffee, especially caffeinated coffee, to stimulate your bowel movements by triggering the muscles of the gut
- Consume foods rich in probiotics, or take some high-quality probiotic supplements
- Try glucomannan supplements, as it treats constipation in many people, or you can also consume shirataki noodles
- Take senna, which is a powerful herbal laxative that will treat constipation
- Taking a magnesium citrate supplement will help you treat and prevent constipation
- Start exercising regularly to accelerate metabolism.